In a poll published last year on HuffingtonPost.com, the primary reason that people divorce is due to lack of communication. Susan definitely knew that to be the truth and was open about how a lack of communication was a big factor in the break-up of her first marriage. In her book The Feel the Fear Guide to Lasting Love she spent a whole chapter on “The Secrets of Loving Communication” and offered 13 “Lucky” Love Lessons to help couples communicate better. Review the lessons below and see how many you may need to work on.
- Approach your mate with a loving energy.
- Be honest with yourself so you can be honest with your mate.
- Anger needs expression…in a loving way.
- Speak to the light within your mate.
- Remember that you may be right…or you may be wrong.
- Override your negativity and “lie” lovingly.
- Let your partner know what you need.
- Stop the vicious circle that defensiveness creates.
- Learn the beauty of silence.
- Validate your mate.
- Sometimes words are not necessary.
- Learn openness in a safe place.
- Have patience.
These lessons are not the be-all and end-all rules of loving communication, but if you work towards learning any or all of these lessons, you’ll be well on your way to a more loving relationship.