When we “act as if” we matter and commit ourselves 100% to whatever we are doing, we can make a big difference in our own lives and also in the lives of those we touch. If you’re feeling weighed down by obligation, duty, or resentment, try this exercise from Embracing Uncertainty to see how you can be more fully present in all you do.
The Act-As-If exercise
You may still not have the understanding at the deepest level of your being that your life actually does make a difference in this world. You may act lovingly and do wonderful things, but you still don’t feel you are important. You can begin to change this erroneous self-perception by playing the game of “act-as-if.” That is, with each step of the journey you ask yourself …
- If I truly made a difference in this world, what would I be doing?
- If I truly made a difference in this world, how would I be more loving?
- If I truly made a difference in this world, how would I create more harmony around me?
You then make a list of all the actions you would take in all situations in your life. And then you would act accordingly.
For example: If I truly made a difference in this world, what would I be doing relative to my job? How could I be more loving and create more harmony around me?
1. I would arrive on time.
2. I would be a self-starter, advancing the goals of the company.
3. I would be friendly to my co-workers.
4. I would give them credit when they do something meaningful.
And so on. And then you would follow through on these “I would’s.”